Perfectly poached eggs are a delicious and healthy breakfast option- soft firm white almost like a mozarella cheese ball- concealing inside it a warm and soft sunny yellow liquid…
They are extremely easy to perfect if you follow this simple recipe given here. Here’s a few steps to poach an egg and a short video to show you how you do it, the video is actually the time taken to poach, so as you can see it is just under 4 minutes!
1. Bring water to a boil in a small shallow pan, add 1/2 tsp of salt.
2. When the water starts to simmer, gently slide an egg into it making sure the yolk remains intact
3. In about 20 seconds, use a broad spoon to carefully scoop clean water from the sides of the pan and pour on the middle.
4. As soon as you see all translucency dissappear, use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the heat
6. Serve warm immediately with a sprinkle of salt and pepper or if there is a delay in serving blanch in cold water to stop cooking. If you have blanched, then before you serve, it is recommended that you return the eggs to hot water before serving.
7 Serve with Turkish Labheh and sauteed spinach and cherry tomatoes on the side.
A few words of caution, don’t do the following-
1. Drop the egg in water that’s not hot enough- simmering, bubbling ready to boil over is what is required
2. Overcook- this will make the yellow harden and you will lose the most delicious liquid soup inside it.
3. Stir too hard (obviously) this will make the egg white feather away.